Chicken Fried Chicken
My youngest kids have never heard of chicken fried steak or chicken fried chicken. So that they do not grow up deprived, I decided to cook that for dinner. Ok, well truth be told, I also wanted something fried. You ever had those days, you know you should eat healthier but that is not always comforting, well this was one of those days. They are not big fans of white gravy so I didn’t add that onto the top of theirs but since they liked the chicken fried, I will add it next time. We had mashed potatoes on the side along with some roasted asparagus. It was divine.
- Place your chicken in a Ziploc bag, pound it with a mallet until it's thin.
- Whisk the milk and eggs together.
- In a separate bowl mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and then in the flour mixture coating both sides. Repeat this process a second time. Continue with the rest of your chicken breasts.
- Take your canola oil and put it in a skillet, heat it up, on high heat, until you start to see bubbles then place in your chicken. Be careful because it will splash.
- Turn the temperature down to medium and cook about five minutes on each side. Do not be tempted to turn the chicken too soon as you want the coating to adhere to it.
- When the chicken is finished, pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl, do not clean the skillet. Using the same skillet returning it to the stove, over medium low heat, add a 1/4 cup of the grease back into the skillet and allow it to heat up.
- Using a whisk add the flour to the grease and continue to stir to create a brown paste. If it looks too greasy add more flour or if it looks too lumpy add more grease. Cook until it looks like a nice golden brown color. Pour in the milk whisking constantly. Add the salt and black pepper to taste and Cook whisking until the gravy is smooth and thick. This will take from 5 to 10 minutes. If the gravy is too thick just add more milk to it.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Other Chicken Entree
Chicken Tender, corn and potato pot stew
Feta Stuffed Chicken with Tomato-Watermelon Salad
Spicy Chicken Sandwich
Sticky Garlic Chicken Bites
Cajun Chicken Wraps
Appetizers / Beef Entree / Bread / Breakfast meals / Candy / Chicken Entree / Cookies / Dessert / Dressings and dips / Drinks / Entrees-Misc / Finger foods / Fish dishes / Mixed Meat Dish / Pasta / Pizza / Pork Entree / Rice recipes / Salad / Sauces and glazes / Seafood entree / Side dishes / Snacks / Soups / Spice mix / Turkey Entree / Vegetables